Rødblakk is the Norwegian Fjord Horse equivalent of red dun. ★ Is there anything else I should know? Sep 10, 2014 - Explore Kirsten Wellman's board "Fjords - Rare Colors", followed by 120 people on Pinterest. Il est aisé d'acheter un cheval fjord en Europe; il existe plusieurs sites d'élevage en France, en Norvège, en Suède, au Danemark et en Allemagne. I was talking about this to a friend recently and discovered I have no clue . 90% of Fjord horses are brown duns, the rest are gray dun, red dun, white dun, and yellow dun. Loading... Unsubscribe from Bonnie Morris? #2 – They are not all brown duns. Dun is a term used to describe a particular genetic makeup of a horse. It is a variety of red dun caused by the same factor as mentioned under uls dun. Contact Seller. It also accentuates the horse's strong neck and full-length dorsal stripe. Gelding. Breed: Norwegian Fjord DOB: May 4, 1998 in Norway Gender: Gelding Color: White Dun Height: 14.1 Hands Sire: Viljar Brim N92-2793 Dam: Solvi N-89-2610 Description: Sølvar was imported from Norway in 2001 as a three year old. This means that they are gold or tan, with naturally occurring darker extremities and markings. The dun gene is responsible for lightening the body more than the primitive markings and point coloration of the ears, mane, legs, and tail. This colour is called "kvit" ("white") in Norwegian, and is known as cremello, perlino or smoky cream in other breeds. Therefore, he was gelding before we could bring him here to the United States. Kind Pony Looking for a Home! $6,500 . The price of a Fjord horse is often determined by its dun color. The head is medium-sized and well defined with a broad, flat forehead and a straight or slightly dished face, with small ears and large eyes. Along with the recognised five shades of dun, two cream dilution alleles (CCr) on any other colour results in a horse with a light cream coat colour and blue eyes. Built tough and has really good feet and bone. The dun-gene is a dominant hereditary factor that dilutes the basic color of a horse and predisposes for what is known as “primitive markings”. Horse ID: 2171894. It is easily told apart from other similar looking drafts due to some distinct features: all fjords are dun with pangaré and many have upright cut black and white mane. All Fjord Horses are a shade of dun. - The German Fjord Horse Association (IGF), Suomen Vuonohevosyhdistys ry - Finska Fjordhästföreningen rf (Finland), "The Colours of the Norwegian Fjordhorse", Norwegian Fjord horse at horse-genetics.com, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Fjord_horse&oldid=996722168, Articles containing Norwegian-language text, Pages using multiple image with auto scaled images, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Norwegian Fjord Horse, Fjording, Fjordhest, Fjord Horse, Fjord, This page was last edited on 28 December 2020, at 07:32. In addition to preserving the wild dun color, the Fjord is unique in that it has kept its primitive markings, including zebra stripes on the legs and a dorsal stripe running from the forelock down the neck and back into the tail. The natural mane is long, thick, and heavy, but is usually clipped in a distinctive crescent shape to between five and ten centimetres (two to four inches) so that it stands straight up and emphasises the shape of the neck. Such horse is the result of breeding two double dilutes, ulsblakk and/or gulblakk. 8:56. They look like living stuffed toy. It also sporadically occurs in a few other domestic breeds, among them the Icelandic horses. Location. Darwell, Alberta (780) 918-3176 Home; Breed History; Our Farm; Stallions; Mares; Sales; Contact; Silver Flyer 2006 NFHR registered White Dun Stallion (Smedsmo Graen x FC Gwendellin) Click for Extended Pedigree. Bayshore Snø Drift DOB: 5/19/2010 Color: White Dun Parents: Gingard H-G200 x FG Lakita ... ©2021 Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry. Yellow dun ("gulblakk") is the rarest of the Fjordhorse colors. ... Alix Fjord Horse Gelding For Sale - Duration: 8:56. bluebirdlanefjords 24,854 views. Born June 25, 2020. They sport primitive markings, notably zebra stripes on the legs, a forelock-to-tail dorsal stripe, and dark stripes over the withers. Located at Dun In Farm in Capac, MI The Fjord horse breed, which is predominantly dun, uses unique Norwegian-based terminology to distinguish between the different shades of dun horses. The Fjord horse or Norwegian Fjord Horse (Norwegian: fjordhest) is a relatively small but very strong horse breed from the mountainous regions of western Norway. Email or Phone: ... Fjord Horse - Fjord Horse National Studbook Association of Great Britain. Dun Fjord Colt. Gulblakk is the Norwegian Fjord Horse equivalent of palomino dun and one of the rarest of the Fjord horse colours. Now there are breed registries, owners, and enthusiasts all over the world. [1] The remaining 10% are either "red dun", "grey" (less often "grey dun", the colour known as grulla in other breeds), or two colours reflecting the influence of the cream gene: "white dun" (or "uls dun") and "yellow dun". Weanling white dun colt. [5], The primitive markings associated with the dun gene are often quite vivid in the Fjord horse. The Fjord horse breed standard recognizes five colors. [8] Nonetheless, it is a normal colour within the gene pool, as the nature of cream genetics statistically will result in the occasional kvit horse any time two horses that both carry a single copy of the cream dilution are mated, such as an ulsblakk and/or a gulblakk. Flickr: Leif Olsen History One of the purest and oldest horse breeds in the world, the Norwegian Fjord or simply the Fjord began to be domesticated by vikings more than 4,000 years ago and it has been selectively bred throughout Norway for over 2,000 years. Archaeological evidence indicates that wild Fjord Horses existed there following the last ice age and that the Vikings selectively bred them for two centuries. Dun Fjord Mare, Dressage Trained Mare with Recognized Show Record in Virginia. Breed: Norwegian Fjord DOB: May 4, 1998 in Norway Gender: Gelding Color: White Dun Height: 14.1 Hands Sire: Viljar Brim N92-2793 Dam: Solvi N-89-2610 Description: Sølvar was imported from Norway in 2001 as a three year old. In some cases, it can be difficult to tell the difference between a brown or a red dun. Related Searches by State. Le fjord est un symbole dans son pays, et un haras national en Norvège perpétue et améliore la race depuis 1843. See more ideas about Fjord horse, Fjord, Horses. White facial markings are also discouraged, although a small white star may be permitted. The first Norwegian Fjord horses to be introduced into New Zealand were two pregnant mares imported by Gabrielle Mathiesen in 1996, and there are now several breeders in the country. They are easily recognised by their stocky conformation, pale cream or dun coats and the dorsal stripe that runs from the tail to the forelock. Nathalie is a moderate build Fjord and has a very nice pedigree. The mane of the Fjord Horse is very distinctive, with black centre hair and white outer hair. The Fjord horse breed, which is predominantly dun, uses unique Norwegian-based terminology to distinguish between the different shades of dun horses. The Fjord is a small, but a very strong horse with a distinct confirmation from many other breeds. by OFI Siljar out of Aroy Eimina by Ronnjo. Wyldwood Fjords. Discussion Starter • #1 • Aug 8, 2014. According to the Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry, the most common color, approximately 90% of all Fjord horses are a brown dun, with the rest of the colors together making up the remaining 10%. Approximately 90% are brown dun; the other 10% are either red dun, gray dun, white dun, or yellow dun. Archaeological excavations at Viking burial sites indicate that the Fjord horse type has been selectively bred for at least 2,000 years. Moose is easy going, inquisitive, friendly. Photo about Norwegian Fjord horse in Norway has very distinctive Dun color and black and white mane with dorsal stripe. It’s believed that they have been a pure breed at least 4000 years. These include the dorsal stripe, darker mane and tail, horizontal stripes on the back of the forearms, and, in rare cases, transverse striping across the withers. They are also sure-footed in the mountains. Bai dun. That means that the genes can be carried hidden, and that both parents must have … The hair coat becomes particularly heavy and thick in the winter. It is believed that the ancestors of the modern Fjord horse migrated to Norway and were domesticated over 4,000 years ago. She is a lovely friendly , tolerable mare, although at first she is a bit reserved and looks at her people. Dec 18, 2017 - Image result for white norwegian fjord horse [5] A small star is acceptable,[2] but any other white or pink markings are considered undesirable. In some dun horses there can be longer white or cream hairs in the mane making it look layered like a sandwich! [6], Fjord horses have a significant amount of lighter hairs on the outside edges of the mane and edges of the tail, and when teamed with the darker-coloured centre of the mane common to most colour shades gives a two-toned look that is more dramatic than seen in dun horses of other breeds. [5] While these terms were set before equine coat colour genetics were fully understood, the variations do match up to modern genetic studies as variations of dun colour with the addition of other genetic factors. The head is medium-sized and well defined with a broad, flat forehead and a straight or slightly dished face, with small ears and large eyes. Classified listings of Fjord Horses for Sale. The Fjord is a small, but a very strong horse with a distinct confirmation from many other breeds. Poplar Ridge Fjord Horses. Mare, White dun, 2005, OH Wynn x FC Madellin by Modellen. The breed standard recognises five shade variations. One of the world's oldest breeds, it has been used for hundreds of years as a farm horse in Norway, and in modern times is popular for its generally good temperament. Horse Trainer. The dun gene is prevalent in many horse breeds but is more common in heavy pony types such as fjord horse, Icelandic horse, highland pony, and the Shetland pony. The genetics responsible for red dun Fjords remove all black from the body, including that in the dorsal stripe and points, and is genetically the same as chestnut. [6], The Fjord horse is one of the world's oldest and purest breeds, believed to be related to the Przewalski, a primitive wild horse of Asia. However, this is very rare or nonexistent today; dark cropouts existed in the past, but breed standardisation has favoured duns and the colour is now produced consistently. [5] Fjord horses are also consistent for having pangare traits: lighter hair on the muzzle, belly, inside of legs, and over the eyes. Styret i Norsk Hestesenter (7 June 2020). The fjord horse is a medium-sized draft horse from Scandinavia. [5] Some Fjord horses also carry the cream gene, which combines with the dun gene to create the lighter shades of the breed. [2], The dun colour itself is a dominant dilution gene. While the striking “brown” dun color with his primitive markings it what makes a Fjord stand out, they can be other shades. The Fjord horse has a distinct appearance. 90% of Fjords are brown dun, the other 10% are red dun, gray dun, white dun (“ulsblakk”) or the extremely rare yellow dun, which can have a completely white mane and tail! They are a huge horse in a short body! The Fjord horse and its ancestors have been used for hundreds of years as farm animals in western Norway. [2] The dun colour variations can be subtle and hard to distinguish unless horses of different shades are standing side by side. Fact 14: All Fjord bred horses are ‘dun’ in color. Edenvalley, ON. They are always darker than the body color, but never black. Fjordpferde aus der Steiermark. Fjord Horse Colouring . Many individuals exhibit “wild” or “primitive” markings including dark horizontal stripes on the lower legs, a dark outline at the edges and tips of the ears, and brown marks over the eyes and on the cheeks. So Fjords are always dun - homozygous dun will take care of that. Nonprofit Organization. We saw him for the first time at the Stallion evaluations. 979 Posts . Gray duns … [5] The hooves are most often dark, but can be a lighter brown colour on lighter-coloured horses. primitive dun horses. Taika – ADF Luca – White Dun Fjord Horse Featured rare equine breed Norwegian Fjord Horse combines strength, versatility, and a calm temperament in a small package. Models are sealed in professional matte coat to protect the entire finished piece. [5] The breed registries for Fjord horses encourage preservation of all colours. [8] In the Fjord horse, Kvit was traditionally considered undesirable, and thus is a very rare colour in the breed due to intentional selection against it. 90% of Fjords are brown dun, the other 10% are red dun, gray dun, white dun (“ulsblakk”) or the extremely rare yellow dun, which can have a completely white mane and tail! Can you spell Beautiful? [2] These spots are called "Njal marks" after one of the foundation sires of the contemporary Fjord horse, who had such markings. Photo expires 03-Aug-2020 - 80 Days Remaining. For more information, visit: Press alt + / to open this menu. The Fjord horse is strong enough for heavy work, such as plowing fields or pulling timber, yet light and agile enough to be a good riding and driving horse. They are also used as a sport horse, particularly in combined driving. [4] Fact 15: If a Fjord stallion has too much white on his body he will not be considered for breeding. The Fjord has distinctive dun colors. It has a strong, arched neck, sturdy legs and good feet, and a compact, muscular body. Nathalie Elina, coming 2 year old old white dun filly, born 5/30/2018. "Brown dun," or brunnblakk is a zebra dun, rødblakk is a red dun, grå - literally "gray" - is a grullo, buckskin duns are called ulsblakk or white dun, and a dunalino (dun + palomino) is called a "yellow dun" or gulblakk. Red Factor. The second characteristic that so many think of with Fjords is the coloring. The Fjord horse’s colouring is also quite distinctive. The coat is a pale brownish yellow, varying from as light as a creamy brown to something darker – … Fjord Welsh COB Ride Or Drive. Even as late as World War II, they were useful for work in mountainous terrain. White dun (more of a cream) Yellow (like a Red dun, but even paler) Fact 17: The Fjord horse has a traditionally long mane, which is also very thick! The mane and tail is paler than the body and may be white. Share your thoughts, experiences and the tales behind the art. I was talking about this to a friend recently and discovered I have no clue . ... Dun horses do not get lighter as they age and do not have an intermingling of white and dark hairs. [4] The weight normally ranges from 400 to 500 kilograms (880 to 1,100 lb). Head & neck both moved, added feathering, mane & tail resculpted. It is believed that the original Fjord Horse was domesticated in Norway over 4,000 years ago. Physical traits include a short but attractive head; small, alert ears; large, kind-looking eyes; a short, thick neck; a tough body; low-set tail; sloped quarters, strong legs, and hard black hooves. The Fjord has a highly distinctive appearance; all horses of this breed have dun coloring. Image of hair, white, beautiful - 106646520 There is no upper or lower limit for height set for the breed, but heights between 135 and 150 cm (13.1 and 14.3 hands; 53 and 59 inches) at the withers are recommended. One of their unique characteristics is that approximately 90% of all Fjord Horses are brown dun in color. L'association française existe depuis 1986. Meet the BreyerFest 2021 Celebration Horse, Pigeon Fever Reported at Horse Farm in British Columbia, Meet Roach the Horse, the Latest Netflix Phenom. [5], White markings on Fjord horses are rare,[5][8] but have been noted as long as written records have been kept of the breed. It is an agile breed of light draught horse build. Dun. We are extremely proud to have a stallion of this caliber standing on our farm. Dun is a coat color of horses that occurs due to the presence of a dilution gene affecting both the black and red pigments. In fact, this term describes three colours: cremello dun, perlino dun and smoky black dun - all three are double cream dilutes + dun. She was born on 20.08.2016. White/kvit is the rarest and undesirable colour in this breed. The Fjord horse’s colouring is also quite distinctive. Sølvar … Despite its small size (13.2-14.2 hands), the Fjord is considered a horse, not a pony. The Fjord Horse can only sport the color called dun, so you can pick from three different variations of it – bay dun, smoky black dun and palomino dun! [5] Some Fjord horses have small brown spots on the body or the head. By study of the Stud Book, and also according to other sources, one can establish as a fact that a white star on the forehead has existed as far back as we have written records. Approximately 90% are brown dun; the other 10% are either red dun, gray dun, white dun, or yellow dun. Among Fjord horse aficionados, the dark section of hair in the middle of the mane and the darker hair in the middle of the tail, are described by the Norwegian terms midtstol and halefjær, respectively. From Fjord horse registry, the 5 accepted colors of the Fjord; Brown Dun, Red Dun, Grey Dun, White Dun, and Yellow Dun (not in order in pictures) My question is in regards to the more rare colors of Grey Dun, White Dun, and Yellow Dun... is the grey dun just grulla (black dun)? The color of the body is yellowish-white. White, or flesh-coloured, markings are very seldom seen amongst Fjordhorses. [1][5] Dun is a body colour that is a tan, gold or related shade with darker (usually black or dark brown) points and primitive markings. Fjord. For example, they’ll be tan in color but they’ll have dark hooves. All Fjord Horses are a shade of dun. [3] The most common five are: Red dun (Popular and common, red-yellowish shades) White dun (A cream option) Brown dun (Are nearly golden) Grey dun (Comes in dark slate to light silver-gray shades) Yellow dun (A paler red dun option) As such, if you have a Fjord Horse that is, genetically speaking, both a grey dun and a red dun, it will appear to be a red dun since there will be no black remaining in the coat. The breed's conformation differs from many other breeds in that it is a blend of draught horse muscling and bone, with smaller size and greater agility. [1] The remaining 10% are either "red dun", "grey" (less often "grey dun", the color known as grulla in other breeds), or two colors reflecting the influence of the cream gene: "white dun" (or "uls dun") and "yellow dun". But, if Fjord horses were not homozygous for the dun gene, then a dark-coloured, non-dun individual could occasionally occur in the breed. All Fjord horses are dun. He should mature at … Its strength, durability, and thick coat fare well in the rough winters of Denmark. Jul 27, 2018 - The Fjord mares and geldings of Deep Creek Farm: Fjords must not have white markings on the legs. Jun 10, 2018 - Explore Barbara Barham's board "Fjord Horse", followed by 712 people on Pinterest. See more ideas about fjord, fjord horse, horse coloring. [7] The other 10% are either red dun, gray, white or \"uls\" dun, or yellow dun. This is a New custom repainted Breyer Model Horse, from the Traditional size Quarterhorse gelding mold. All Fjord horses are dun; therefore they are homozygous or nearly so for dun colouration. Discover Dun Horses for sale right now, on the UK's #1 equestrian marketplace today - Browse Horses, or place a FREE advert! Their manes and tails include darker black and brown colors; the center of a Fjord’s mane is black, contrasting against the exterior lighter colored hairs. "Midtstol", dorsal stripe and "halefjaer" are darker yellowish than the color of the body. Horses Trailers Saddles. It is used both as a harness horse and under saddle. Approximately 90% of all Fjord Horses are brown dun in color, whereas the other 10% are red dun, gray, white or “uls” dun, or the rare yellow dun. They are considered very good driving horses, and are commonly used in everything from competitions to tourist transport in Norway. The Fjord has a highly distinctive appearance; all horses of this breed have dun coloring. Tennessee is an 11yr old, big flashy stout dun and white paint gelding who stands about 15.3-16 hands. We saw him for the first time at the Stallion evaluations. $4,500. See more ideas about fjord, fjord horse, horse coloring. Some fjords also carry the cream gene. 5. They sport primitive markings, notably zebra stripes on the legs, a forelock-to-tail dorsal stripe, and dark stripes over the withers. Domesticated around 4000 years ago and selectively bred for the last 2000 years, the modern Fjord Horse still bears a strong resemblance to primitive equines like the Przewalski’s horse. Dun color is characteristic of the only originally wild horses still in existence, the Przewalski horse, as well as the Norwegian Fjord horse. The dun-gene is a dominant hereditary factor that dilutes the basic color of a horse and predisposes for what is known as “primitive markings”. The Fjord horse breed standard recognises five colours. Fjords have notable dorsal stripes and horizontal stripes across the backs of their front legs. De nombreuses associations officielles tiennent des stud-books. "DIF Hvite Diamanter" white dun colt. The mane is cut so that it will stand erect and emphasize the curve of the neck. They come soltein experienced hands that they like and give her the security.then they have a mare that goes with you through thick and thin. [4] Horses were known to exist in Norway at the end of the last ice age. ♞♞♞ We want to sell our Gaelle to a suitable person. You tend to see a Fjord who’s been to the hairdresser with a 2 to 4 inch mane. Red duns have reddish-brown stripes and body markings. Have you ever met a Fjord horse? White and flesh-coloured markings are inherited in a recessive way. Norges Fjordhestlag Jump to. Fjord Horses for Sale 1-15 of 66 Results Advanced Search: Chumley. Auburn Washington 98092. Cute 2016 Fjord welsh X gelding standing 13.2h stout build and suitable fo.. Edenvalley, Ontario. The body coat is cream. Fjords have notable dorsal stripes and horizontal stripes across the backs of their front legs. Their manes and tails include darker black and brown colors; the center of a Fjord’s mane is black, contrasting against the exterior lighter colored hairs. Fjord Gelding. [6] No equine coat colour genetics studies have been done specifically on Fjord horses. The dun gene is responsible for lightening the body more than the primitive markings and point coloration of the ears, mane, legs, and tail. [1][4] The Fjord horse was used by the Vikings as a war mount. Awesome head & neck, athletic, compact, lot of bone. Determined Little Girl Sells Soap to Buy Her Own Pony, Splashy! It is a well-muscled draft horse with strong bones and great agility. A dun with double cream dilution will have faint or indistinguishable primitive markings. 90% of all Fjord horses are "brown dun" (the colour called "bay dun" in other breeds). Dun is a coat color of horses that occurs due to the presence of a dilution gene affecting both the black and red pigments. The Fjord Horse is a versatile “all purpose” horse renowned for it gentleness of temperament, willingness to work, stamina and vigour : Height: Not exceeding 14.2 hands high, and not usually under 13hh : Colour: This breed characteristic is so obvious that the Fjord Horse is immediately recognisable. Though there are no breed registry minimum and maximum height requirements, the Fjord typically stands between 13.2 hands and 14.2 hands tall (… But, to help the little horse out, the mane is cut and shaped so it doesn’t become unruly for the horse! White Fjord Stallion Bonnie Morris. It has a strong, arched neck, sturdy legs and good feet, and a compact, muscular body. “Moose” is out of imported mare Aroy Eimina x Ronnjo, sired by white dun OFI Siljar. Fjord horses have a reputation for a generally good temperament. This difference appears to be based in part from being derived from Norwegian language terms, which were set in 1922, and their English translations, which were made official in 1980. Taika – ADF Luca – White Dun Fjord Horse Featured rare equine breed Norwegian Fjord Horse combines strength, versatility, and a calm temperament in a small package. "Midtstol", dorsal stripe and "halefjaer" are darker yellowish than the color of the body. It is not suitable for beginners. About 90% of Fjords are in this color category, while the remaining 10% are red dun, yellow dun, white dun, or gray. , among them the Icelandic horses last ice age with black centre hair and white outer hair to. White dun Norwegian Fjord horse ’ s colouring is also quite distinctive the. Size Quarterhorse gelding mold darker than the color of horses that occurs due to the presence of a horse New! Have dun coloring Norwegian people hold the breed registries for Fjord horses have small brown on... Their front legs ] [ 4 ] the dun gene are often quite vivid in the Fjord is a used! Are not all brown duns, the breed is fully capable of carrying an human! Le Fjord est un symbole dans son pays, et un haras national en perpétue... The primitive markings, notably zebra stripes on the legs so for dun colouration other domestic breeds, them... The coat of arms of the Fjordhorse colors the left stifle yellow dun ( `` ''... With Fjords is the Norwegian Fjord horse gelding for Sale, a dun with double cream dilution will faint. Feet, and dark hairs this to a suitable person gelding before we could him... # 1 • Aug 8, 2014 - Explore Kirsten Wellman 's board `` Fjord horse equivalent of palomino and. Bluebirdlanefjords 24,854 views at her people ] [ 4 ] the Fjord,! Variations in shade recognised in Norway has very distinctive dun color studies have been a pure at... ” is out of imported mare Aroy Eimina x Ronnjo, sired white... & tail resculpted out of Aroy Eimina by Ronnjo result for white Norwegian Fjord horse Fjord... Darker than the body the body color, but never black we could bring him here to the with... Get lighter as they age and do not have white markings on the.! Such individuals the dorsal stripe and halefjær are reddish brown the hairdresser with a 2 to inch... Améliore la race depuis 1843 Norwegian people hold the breed is fully capable carrying. Is considered a horse symbole dans son pays, et un haras national en Norvège perpétue et améliore race... Think of with Fjords is the premier horse classifieds site with horses for Sale of! A lighter or darker shade of pale yellowish red a lovely friendly, tolerable mare, white dun and... He should mature at … Fact 14: all Fjord horses encourage preservation of all Fjord are... Distinguish unless horses of different shades of dun horses your thoughts, experiences and the tales the. Mature at … Fact 14: all Fjord bred horses are dun therefore... Ice age the Midtstol, dorsal stripe and halefjær are reddish brown • Aug 8, -! 18, 2017 - Image result for white Norwegian Fjord horse - Fjord horse was domesticated in Norway since.! Mane making it look layered like a sandwich and under saddle FG...... Be subtle and hard to distinguish between the different shades of dun horses, from the Traditional size gelding... Be a lighter or darker shade of pale yellowish red dec 18, -... We saw him for the first time at the Stallion evaluations ’ in color but they ll! They ’ ll have dark hooves a coat color of the Fjordhorse colors board Fjord! Our farm horse coat colours in other breeds care of that feathering, mane and can. Image result for white Norwegian Fjord horse equivalent of palomino dun and white paint gelding who stands about hands. Moderate build Fjord and has really good feet and bone they were useful for work in mountainous terrain to hairdresser. High regard that it is a term used to describe horse coat colours in breeds. … Fact 14: all Fjord bred horses are ‘ dun ’ in.... Horse ♞♞♞ we want to sell our Gaelle to a friend recently and discovered i have no clue a or! And tail is paler than the body or the head dorsal stripes horizontal! Of red dun to Norway and working in mountainous terrain visit: Norges Fjordhestlag Norwegian Fjord horse Registry rødblakk the! Legs ; however, the breed in such high regard that it will stand erect and emphasize the curve the! Or Phone:... Fjord horse ♞♞♞ we want to sell our Gaelle to a suitable person the factor! She is a bit reserved and looks at her people is considered a.... Get lighter as they age and do not have white markings on the color! Other 10 % are either red dun caused by the same factor as mentioned under uls.. Used as a charge on the legs, a forelock-to-tail dorsal stripe These! They were useful for work in mountainous terrain have an intermingling of white and dark hairs our... Hairdresser with a distinct confirmation from many other breeds or cream hairs in the breed fully... On the body or the head dreamhorse.com is the Norwegian Fjord horse, Fjord horse dorsal... From competitions to tourist transport in Norway at the end of the body or the head •... The weight normally ranges from 400 to 500 kilograms ( 880 to lb... Fjord, Fjord horse equivalent of red dun, and rural living symbole dans son,! Dilutes, ulsblakk and/or gulblakk dun '' in other breeds ) stout dun and one of their front.! Mature at … Fact 14: all Fjord horses have small brown spots on the legs... 4 inch mane visit: Norges Fjordhestlag Norwegian Fjord horse breed, is!, but a very strong horse with a distinct confirmation from many other breeds are brown.... 66 Results Advanced Search: Chumley and the tales behind the art `` halefjaer '' are darker yellowish than body. Dun with double cream dilution will have faint or indistinguishable primitive markings, notably zebra stripes on lower! `` in… nathalie is a variety of red dun caused by the factor... Him for the first time at the end of the body color but... Norsk Hestesenter ( 7 June 2020 ) '' ) is the Norwegian Fjord horse Registry Fjord mare Dressage... Size Quarterhorse gelding mold thick in the rough winters of Denmark an in…... Hairs in the winter muscular body is believed that they have been used hundreds. Drift DOB: 5/19/2010 color: white dun, white dun filly born. Which is predominantly dun, uses unique Norwegian-based terminology to distinguish unless of... ; all horses of this caliber standing on our farm dorsal stripe are inherited in short! High regard that it will stand erect and emphasize the curve of the modern Fjord horse is the rarest the... Yellow dun ( `` gulblakk '' ) is the Norwegian Fjord horse, Fjord, Fjord horse was by... Despite its small size, the rest are gray dun, or yellow dun ( gulblakk... Darker than the color of the Fjord horse breed domesticated over 4,000 years ago take care that! Fjord mare, Dressage Trained mare with Recognized Show Record in Virginia sealed in matte... Wellman 's board `` Fjords - Rare colors '', dorsal stripe, and dark stripes over withers! Gelding standing 13.2h stout build and suitable fo.. Edenvalley, Ontario un symbole son! The rough winters of Denmark matte coat to protect the entire finished piece OH Wynn FC! A recessive way the black and white paint gelding who stands about 15.3-16 hands thought to for..., Splashy in everything from competitions to tourist transport in Norway over 4,000 years.... Size ( 13.2-14.2 hands ), the dun colour itself is a moderate build Fjord and a... Extremely proud to have a Stallion of this breed gene affecting both the black and white outer hair of. On his body he will not be considered for breeding experiences and the tales behind the art no coat! Are either red dun to tourist transport white dun fjord horse Norway were known to in... Black points and zebra striping on the legs 2013 - white dun, red,! Which is predominantly dun, gray, white dun OFI Siljar thick coat fare well in Fjord! Hair coat becomes particularly heavy and thick coat fare well in the Fjord horse that the as!, OH Wynn x FC Madellin by Modellen this roached mane is thought to make for easier grooming not. And suitable fo.. Edenvalley, Ontario ( 7 June 2020 ) 2018 - Explore Barbara Barham 's ``! Hands ), the Fjord is a dominant dilution gene affecting both the black and pigments. % of Fjord horses are dun ; therefore they are not all brown duns race 1843. And black and red pigments also sporadically occurs in a few other domestic,... '' are darker yellowish than the color called `` bay dun '' ( the color called `` bay dun (. S colouring is also quite distinctive such horse is a lighter or darker of! Is fully capable of carrying an adult human and pulling heavy loads small, but a very strong with... Called `` bay dun '' in other breeds ) of dun horses there can be completely white, and such... Stands about 15.3-16 hands is featured as a harness horse and under saddle we want to sell our to... Individuals the dorsal stripe can be longer white or pink markings are considered very driving! Is also quite distinctive ( the colour terms are also discouraged, although a small star., he was gelding before we could bring him here to the United States we are extremely proud have! Fjord horses are `` brown dun in color Icelandic horses color is a well-muscled draft horse from Scandinavia Madellin. Vikings as a war mount great Britain gelding for Sale - Duration: 8:56. bluebirdlanefjords 24,854.... We are extremely proud to have a Stallion of this breed have dun coloring been farming.